Thursday, January 29, 2015

Bits and Pieces

Zinsser's chapter on "Bits and Pieces" covers a lot. And I mean a lot. I am sure you all noticed it was the longest chapter you read. I really think of it as the place where the writer shoved all the other things he wanted to cover that didn't fit into a chapter of its own. What I want to point out are, what I think, the most important parts of that chapter.

1. Active Verbs- When you use a verb make sure its active. This means one word is showing all the action. For example: The students are taught by the professor. This is a passive verb. Instead write The professor taught the students.

2. Adverbs are useless. If you have a good active verb you do not need adverbs.

3. Zinnser finds adjectives equally as useless as adverbs. If you are using adjectives make sure they are concrete and useful. For example pretty means nothing to your reader because everyones idea of what is pretty is different.

4. No exclamation points. I myself am a stickler for this. Exclamation points are the most useless piece of punctuation ever. Allow your word choices to convey the emotion you need.

Feel free to respond with any other thoughts or parts of the chapter you think were important.

No comments:

Post a Comment